The turnout I built a few weeks ago is finally in place and operational. Well, it is only connected to any mainline track at one end, but at least I now have final track from the tunnel scene I did earlier up to this turnout on the Summit scene to be.
Here is a shot of the turnout, ballasted and weathered.
A larger picture is here.
Just for the sake of it I attached a scratchbuilt switch stand. The switch stand is a leftover from my previous C&NW layout. I don't know if SP ever used switch stands with rectangular flags.
I have a Tortoise switch machine installed beneath. It was a little tricky to get the switch machine working properly since the plastic throwbar, which is kind of thin in order not stand out to much, had a tendancy to flex upward when the machine pushed at it. After some fiddling I managed to solve the problem by glueing a small piece of styrene to the headblocks, across the throwbar. This keeps the throwbar down and forces it to slide rather than rise.
Here is a closer view of parts of the turnout.
And a larger version is here. Closeups like those are unforgiving. They show not only what you want to show but also the things you don't. Like ballast that has ended up in the wrong place and strays of cat fur (or whatever it is that should not be there).